Monday, April 25, 2016

Dan Eldon's PhotoCollages

I have never been a big mixed-media artist but after looking into some, I have been motivated to try it out. Dan Eldon uses disassociated photos in such a way that makes a photo with such unrelated images seem whole, which is certainly not easy. For my share of trying it out, it was hard to me to be able to place everything in a manner that compliments each other. It has to do a lot with mastering abstractionism and utilizing it in a way that makes the piece unpredictable, yet make sense in a way. I find it easier to make a successful piece by picking out the images, colors, and patterns that are desired to be used and then placing them on the surface of the work before using an adhesive to make the glued on. I found it the most challenging using paint with other materials to make a collage but it can be very entertaining to do so.
Viewing Dan Eldon's photo collages gave me a lot of ideas at how to utilize different materials in a way that make them all appreciated the same amount. I have realized he also uses consistency and duplication go images but not too much where they are over used. It seems that he also uses his culture to inspire his images, which is very much appreciated by me. I often find it difficult to channel in my cultural self and incorporate it into my pieces. This is why I look up artists who do this and see the techniques they use in hopes that it will make me a better artist. Dan Eldon uses a lot of abstract patterns, typically within the background of his pieces, but also utilize images of reality in a way that makes the viewer appreciate such a commonly seen image even more. Some of my favorite pieces of his art the ones that are very congested and make the viewer have to really look at it in order to be able to see all of the aspects of the artwork. I have also seen his use of water colors which motivates me to try and use them more as I don't think I am very good at it yet.

I have been showing pictures of my recent artwork to express the styles and techniques I use so I am also going to show a collage I made that was inspired by William Goodman. William Goodman often makes his pieces look as if they are graffiti or on some type of wall, but still is able to show that such unrelated images can make a full and beautiful whole.





Here is also a picture of one of William Goodman's most popular pieces, which can express the use of collage making. Hope you enjoy! 




Source of William Goodman's artwork: www.supersonicart.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment