Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Museum of Television & Archive

Relating to my previous post about my love for museums and my experience of the Dale Chihuly Glass Museum, I was interested in looking into the Museum of Television & Archive. At the first look of it, I did not think it was going to be as likable to me as it ended up being. I am more focused on experiencing pieces of artwork that art intended by the artist to provoke the viewer. Therefore, I thought of a museum on just the advancement of television and digital technology would be boring to me. However, from viewing the official site of this museum I realized that it would actually be really awesome to experience this different feel to a museum.

I believe that most of its pieces would be from the 1950's and Hollywood-oriented, which I am greatly fond of. Along with this, the exhibits give background information of the era when they were created, such as the exhibit of television, which dated back to the post World War II period. The exhibit emphasized society's long-lasting relations with the television set and how it has come to what we view it as today. Dating back to that time, televisions only had a few channels and mainly turned off by 1am as my grandma had told me. She also spoke of when Orson Welles broadcasted on his talk show that aliens had landed on earth. This was back when restrictions on television and radio were very lenient and did not monitor everything people publicly said. My grandma informed me on how big of a deal it was back then because people actually believed him and turned into a frantic. It really is crazy how much our society and the standard laws on television and radio have changed.

Another exhibit that interested me was the one regarding how television transitioned to be the most dominant form of public communication during World War II. People heavily relied on correspondence of hand written letters as well as the typewriter, but the television made a method of communication that was faster and more convenient for people. Before televisions became affordable for almost everyone, stores would leave televisions outside where people would crowd around and watch whatever was on. Nowadays, there are televisions everywhere and it has become possible to watch television shows or movies just directly from a device such as a laptop or cellphone.


Here is an article on the alien scare that Orson Welles caused for America on October 30th, 1938:


No comments:

Post a Comment