Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Trip to the Dale Chihuly Glass Museum

I have been a museum fanatic ever since I went to the Museum of Modern Art in New York City when I was little. It was so interesting to me to be able to observe artwork and distinguish the different types of styles and personalities expressed through the artists' talent. My most intriguing aspect of walking through museums is the ability to make meaning of the artists' pieces with your own individualized and unique perception of them. It has become an aspiration of mine to attempt to see all of the museums I am interested in around the world.

Within this month, I went to Dale Chihuly's Glass Museum in St. Petersburg, Tampa that exhibits enormous glass structures that were made by hand and blown with a fire torch by Chihuly. His artwork is so impressive and really makes you wonder how he was able to create such fascinating and big pieces constructed in glass. Many of his pieces are plant-like with such vibrant colors that it is hard to even take your eyes off of it. There is one part of the museum where you walk through a hallway that has a clear glass ceiling with beautifully sculpted pieces above it; it was amazing to look at and have all of the pieces right above you, allowing the bright colors to shine right down on you.

Although the museum was most likely the smallest I've been in (only approximately 5-6 rooms), it was a breathtaking experience. Apparently, Dale Chihuly has another location of a museum dedicated to him that is predominantly set outside, which I would love to visit as well. The sculptures displayed outside are massively structured freestanding sculptures that really bring joy to anyone who sees them. It is truly incredible that Chihuly utilizes glass in such a unique and impressionable way. I would most definitely recommend visiting this museum if you are into this kind of stuff.

Here are some pictures I took at the museum:















No comments:

Post a Comment