Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Broken Windows Theory

I am already aware of the "broken windows theory" but this article touched some areas of the study I was not aware about. Simply put, I was educated about this theory in this way: If a building has a broken window it calls to attention that this place is not cared about nor is it maintained in an orderly way. Because of this, people will see this building as not valued and therefore can be destructed more so than it already is without anyone's care. If something is not cared for, it will not be seen as something to not have to be taken care of. However, I am now informed that this study was created for more than just that. It was actually founded that disorderliness evokes creativity while orderliness evokes tradition (as expressed when people who cleaned the messy room were more likely to pick the label of "new" rather than the label of "classic"). I find this experiment to be unusual yet a very unique approach to showing contrast of order and disorder. Thinking of it in my own life... I would most definitely create a work of art with excessive creativity in it on a cluttered desk rather than a desk that had nothing on it. I believe the clutter in front of me is what fuels my ability to think of more individualized and unique ideas in my art work. To my attention, it must be the variations of objects to the eye that conducts genuine thinking outside the box. Although the article stressed this, the result of the experiment can be used for issues that are more individual rather than societal. In my opinion, this theory is a very valuable one to contribute into one's life, basically in any aspects.
I personally brought this theory to my attention after having relationship problems with someone who did not treat me well. And although the article does not express this perspective and focuses more on creativity, I wanted to announce my own take on it. It was through my brother-in-law's wise words of giving me the gist of the "broken windows" theory that really taught me my self worth. And this is why I am trying to express that this theory can be put to any issue in one's life. He told me that if someone makes a broken window in me and I do not care for myself in the future to avoid this, then more windows will eventually be broken. In essence, people can feel broken windows in another person and take advantage of that. If a cruel person sees these broken windows in your self, they may view it as an opportunity to break down someone who is already broken down. Not to preach here but I think thats an important lesson for all people to take into consideration... Windows can be broken anywhere in life: your mind, your body, your self-respect, etc. With this being said, using the "broken windows" theory to reassure and technically prevent a person from letting more windows be broken. Don't let anyone break any of your windows, your body is a temple.


"The term "Broken Windows" comes from the metaphor used to describe this concept: "If a window is broken and left unrepaired, people walking by will conclude that no one cares and no one is in charge." This theory says that the little things matter."


Source of Quote: www.ci.missoula.mt.us
Link to read more: http://www.ci.missoula.mt.us/881/Broken-Window-Theory

No comments:

Post a Comment