Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Angel's Stage Door

My sister is an actress and has been doing plays/operas since she was little. Due to this, it was easy for me to pick out the operas lined up on this blog that I most definitely wanted to watch the excerpts of. With this being said, these are the comments I want to make on the excerpts I greatly appreciated:

~ Funny Girl ~
I remember seeing Funny Girl as a kid because my sister played in it. She actually played the main character, Fanny Brice, who wants to be an Broadway actress in New York City and falls in love with an entrepreneur with a gambling problem. Within the excerpt on the blog was an actress performing the song, "Don't Rain on My Parade". This song is about Fanny wanting to marry Mr. Arnstein, the entrepreneur, regardless of his issue with gambling. I found the video very entertaining in its variation of the usual people they would hire to take this role. This song also brought back memories of my sister constantly rehearsing this song in her room before her performance.

~ On the Twentieth Century ~
I am not sure exactly what the song, "Veronique", is about in the play, On the Twentieth Century. I was, however, very entertained by Kristen Chenoweth's performance. I saw her on Broadway in NYC when she was performing as the bad witch, the main character, in the play, Wicked. Her voice is so beautiful and she never fails to keep me so enjoyably focused on her performance. I did enjoy this song as well as Chenoweth's ability to make the audience laugh as she did with me when I saw her when I was little.

~ West Side Story ~
While watching this video, I realized that this blog was not trying to express a certain scene of West Side Story. The West Side Story video was showing the most prominent scenes in the play and almost portrayed itself as if it were a commercial or trailer for the play. I have never seen the West Side Story on Broadway but have seen my sister play in it when she was attending a small, local theater center. I think West Side Story is one of my absolute favorite plays to watch as it takes a modern twist on Romeo and Juliet in my eyes. It is so intriguing to watch as the actors and actresses dance and fight at the same time with such movement you can't take your eyes off it.

Within the likes of all of these excepts, the blog did not have my favorite play on it, which is Into the Woods. I saw this play on Broadway as a kid and have loved it ever since. I believe they also made this play into a movie recently... Here is most of the play I found on youtube if anyone is interested in discovering the amazing nature of this play:
Enjoy :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqCsQCsinK4





No comments:

Post a Comment