Tuesday, April 19, 2016

The Infamous Dial Up Sound

As long as I can remember, specifically at my grandma's house, to connect to the internet wasn't just a push of a button. After pressing the on/off button, her computer would have to use the phone connection to dial up the internet, making weird sounds that are oh so familiar to many of us. However, this sound scared the heck out of me when I was little and don't even get me started about if someone called the phone while you were dialing up the internet. Not only would someone's call interfere with the dial up but completely crash the process of starting up all together! I definitely do not miss this dial up just to get to the internet, it was long and dreadful. With this being said, I don't think children today realize how much the internet has advanced since their time. It used to not be such an easy process pressing the on button and searching through the internet with complete ease. I guess you can say people of my generation got the best and the worst of both worlds.This noise was more than just a static nuisance to the ear, but it was also the sound of the start of the internet.

Moving forward... if you don't want your kids on the internet, play this sound for them...

Here is an article that really touches base on the remembered dial up sound and how it was something heard often within earlier generations:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/06/the-mechanics-and-meaning-of-that-ol-dial-up-modem-sound/257816/

No comments:

Post a Comment