Monday, January 25, 2016

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ The Madama Butterfly Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

At first look of the video, I was a little weirded out. I mean, who was expecting the first two minutes of the video to be two dolls having sexual relations? Anyways, as the video progressed I realized it was not about the dolls' relationship to each other but more so about the doll who was treated so cruelly. The female doll was much less attractive than the male doll who had color to him and more definition of his body. (on a scale of how much a doll can even be attractive) However, she had a beautiful butterfly follow her around that eventually left with the male doll when he abandoned her. The female and male doll were also obviously different races - the male being American and the female being from some type of Asian decent. Not only did he impregnate her but left her to wait for him and raise a child on her own. It was apparent that she loved her newborn child and waited upon the day the male doll would return to her. Unfortunately, when he finally did return it was not by himself but with another female doll that clearly owned more beauty and substance than the female doll left behind. He was smiling when he arrived, which really got me heated. Who does this guy think he is?! Anyways, back to what's important. When he arrived, he took the child out of the female doll's hands as if he were happy to be reunited with his long lost lover. Yet, instead of meeting the female doll with open arms, he took her child, put the child in his car, and waved a goodbye.
I can't deny it, I did feel very sorry for the female doll. My first take on the video I was so confused as to what I was watching but as minutes passed I realized that the author was pretty creative in his depiction of this love story. I believe he was talented in his ability to manifest an emotion out of me from watching just a video on a love story of DOLLS. I sympathized for the mother who lost her child but it became clear that this was not going to be a story that left the viewer feeling sad. The mother doll began to detach herself (I honestly thought she was committing suicide) but as she became completely soulless, she began to be blown away by the wind. Within seconds, those broken pieces of her mounted into another beautiful butterfly. And that beautiful butterfly became her old self again - the pale long-haired female doll with the butterfly always following her.
I attempted to step back for a second and really think of the message the author of the illustrations was trying to convey. So here's my take on it: I believe the butterfly signifies the female dolls' love. It seems that she does not have much substance besides the butterfly that follows but that is much substance in itself. Once the sailor doll leaves her, her love goes with him and is taken from her. And then, when her baby is born, her baby becomes her new love and even flies just like the butterfly did. Furthermore, when her baby is taken from her and she detaches herself to the bone, she begins to be blown away and turns into another butterfly as if her love has been revived. I am not exactly sure if this means her baby was returned to her or she had some sort of epiphany to not end her life but instead move on to something more positive. Either way, the female doll's story is not left on a dark note, yet transitions within the last piece of it to be a love not able to be taken so cruelly from someone who can love so much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment