Monday, March 14, 2016

Singing in the Rain: Prevailing Even into Modernity



The movie, Singing in the Rain, is such a classic. I even know what people are talking about when hearing of that phrase even though I have never seen the movie. It seems as though watching the clip on youtube of the main character singing this song the movie is definitely a love story. I believe that this scene can be one of the greatest in the film industry back then as it is recognized by almost everyone. As I did more research about the movie, I realized that it is actually a musical about a man starring in a musical, which is ironic in itself. Furthermore, I was fantasized by the use of colors within the musical as they appear vibrant and compliment each other. This was especially impressive to me as it was not the most advanced use of color within films back then and the directors were able to use them very successfully.

When I asked my grandmother of the scene when the main character, Gene Kelly, sings in the rain she said that they actually used this very part of the movie to advertise it and it was almost immediately a hit to people in that generation. This scene plays an important role in how significant this movie was in film history. I mean, how was I able to recognize this song without seeing the movie? The scene of "Singing in the Rain" most likely was the appealing drive for people to go and see this movie and because the movie initiates with this scene, it probably excited people. I love the lyrics to the song because although it is very simple and repetitive, it is talking of falling in love. When most people think of the rain, it is dark and gloomy. However, when Gene Kelly sings in the rain with his brightly colored yellow rain jacket it really lightens the mood and potentially gives people a different perspective of being stuck in the rain.

Musicals are a form of art within themselves. They contain dress designs, music compositions, props, and other aspects that really adhere to the smoothness within them. I believe this musical was a memorable time for people that popularized in the 1950's. However, this film will be a lasting memory of a successful time within Hollywood film history.



Source of GIF: www.giphy.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment